the prefect of police Laurent Núñez promises the closure of the Forceval compound

Residents demonstrate to demand the dismantling of the Forceval site, in Pantin, north of Paris, on September 24, 2022.

The square where crack users have been meeting for a year in the northeast corner of the capital “will close”promised on Sunday, September 25, the new police prefect of Paris, Laurent Nunez, without however specifying a date.

“The Camp and Square Forceval at Place Auguste-Baron [XIXe arrondissement] It’s not meant to last, obviously this outdoor stage must and will close.”he said on BFM-TV. “The commitment is twofold: it is both the closure of this site, when the time comes, and obviously, that it not be reconstituted elsewhere”continued the prefect, considering it necessary to have “support devices that are robust”.

On September 24, 2021, the Paris police headquarters had decided to move to this place without any shelter the users of crack – a highly addictive smokeable derivative of cocaine – who had wandered there in the Jardins d’Éole (XVIIIme city).

Read the testimonials: Article reserved for our subscribers “Hell is not that of the flames and the devil, it is our lives”: meeting with crack users at the Porte de la Villette

exasperated residents

At the gates of the capital, between 300 and 400 drug addicts were given over to violence and trafficking, themselves disrupting public safety in the 19th century.me district, as well as in the adjacent districts of the municipalities of Pantin and Aubervilliers, in Seine-Saint-Denis. Several hundred people, including exasperated residents, demonstrated on Saturday to demand “evacuation” of the camp

Also read: Article reserved for our subscribers Crack in Paris: a year later, the despair of the residents of the Porte de la Villette

On September 13, Núñez, appointed in July to replace Didier Lallement, ordered an extensive police operation in this square in the northeast of the capital. The Prefecture of Police had affirmed that since the beginning of the year, “300 cases related to” this drug “have been processed”, “2.3 kg of crack and more than 160,000 euros of criminal assets were seized as well as 14+ kitchens [lieux de fabrication des galettes de crack] dismantled ».

On Sunday, Laurent Núñez said that since August 4, 24 traffickers had been arrested and five crack manufacturing sites had been dismantled, noting that on average between 150 and 200 police officers were present every day to secure the area.

The world with AFP

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *